It seems like it has been a long time since I have had a normal weekend day at the house… 4 race weekends followed by a getting ready / going to mountain view weekend meant that I haven’t been attending to things… So I peeled off from the group on our team ride with tired legs and ended up with about 2 hours of ride time. On the way back to the house, I deposited our second chance check from a recent race. Andrea and I had the pleasure of a trio of returned check fees on top of the missing money from a recent race. The promoter made good (at least I hope so this time) and we are back to that weekend being a nice payday.
So I decided to run down the hill to the nearby Lowe’s to get a motion light for the front porch. The street lamp coverage of our house leaves a dark corner when coming home at night, so I wanted to replace that light. Got that and then hit up Kroger to restock the house from what seems like weeks of just getting by (although it was only probably a week).
The installation of the light went pretty smooth… the only issue that the space between the centerline of the electrical junction box and the trim piece was about an inch too short for the fixture I bought. I liked it, so I committed to that light and got out the tin snips. Problem solved. This fixture also has the advantage that it doesn’t make an enticing home for wasps. The front porch and the back porch fixtures both harbor abandoned nests.
Got that installed… and since I had the ladder out, I decided to check out the gutters. The ones in the rear were full of dry leaves (meaning at least the downcomers were not plugged as they were in the past). Matt discovered why the downcomers plugged so readily. The builder had crimped the gutter downcomer to fix in another piece. He cut out the excess metal and the problem was solved. The downcomers in the back were not plugged at all. The gutters did capture some leaves, but they were easy to remove since they were dry.
At the front of the house, that wasn’t the case.. I modified the two front gutters and should prevent the logjam of leaves that I found in each one.
Tomorrow is a rainy day by the forecast, so I will turn my attention to the inside of the house. Andrea is working again (sort of unusual as she normally has weekends off).
On other random news, I decided to take the plunge on iTunes match. I was interested easily improving the quality of poorly ripped tracks and replacing my older Apple DRM tracks with DRM free tracks. This doesn’t happen automatically but can easily done once your older tracks are “matched” with some in the iTunes store. You blow them away off you computer and then redownload them as higher quality files. On my iPhone / iPad all of my “matched” or “uploaded” tracks can be downloaded on the fly in case the mood strikes for a track from archives.
I plan to use this to help clean up / consolidate my music, etc. Of the nearly 5000 songs that I had in my library, it found all but about 750 of them. That upload process is pretty slow. It has been about 24 hours, and about 500 of them are already done.